Monday, March 30, 2009

Miracles Happen!!

On Wednesday the 11th of March, I got the phone call every mother fears. The gentlemen on the other end of the line identified himself as a social worker for the Fresno Community Hospital. He asked me if I had a son named Logan. I told him yes and he asked me if I was aware that my son was in the hospital. I told him NO, I had no idea. I must say I am proud of myself I stayed farely calm trying to get all the information from him so that I could no what to do next. He proceeded to tell me that all he knew was that he was brought by ambulance to the hospital from an address I did not recognize at first, I thought it might be his girlfriends but I really wasn't sure. He said that he had been assaulted and that he was in bad shape and was in the Trauma ICU. (I can say that this is where I started to feel a little freaked!) He said that the accident happened on Monday the 9th. I could not believe that he had been there nearly 3 days with no one with him. My heart just sank. I told him I would be right there after a few calls and droping children off. Thanks to good friends and family, I dropped the little ones off and headed to the hospital. There was nothing that could prepare me for the sight I saw. I just had to put my head down and cry. I could not believe I was looking at my son. I would not have recognized him. I was shocked that another human being could do this to another. So we began our road to recovery and being educated on Tramatic Brain Injury. Most of the damage done to Logan was in the frontal lobe of the brain. He did suffer some damage to the Parietal Lobe. What I have learned and what I have witnessed is a miracle. The body is an amazing thing. I have been able to watch Logan go from not being able to stand without help and learning to get his balance and eventually being able to walk on his own again. He had to learn to use his muscles in his throat again just from being incubated 5 days, to swallow food and drink fluids without asperating. He had some issues with his vision in the hospital but those are getting better. He is still working with occupational therapy and speech therapy. He has some cognitived things he is working on but all in all he is doing great. The Doctors and nurses told us that he is a very lucky young man. He could have died. I know it wasn't luck! It was a miracle. The second I knew what had happened we petitioned everyone for their prayers. I had people that did not even know Logan offering up their prayers in his behalf. His name was put in more than one temple. Perry and Uncle Randall gave him a blessing that first day we saw him in the ICU. He doesn't remember alot of the experience but while the blessing was being given his pulse and blood pressure went up and the machines were beeping. I am just so thankful to watch my son each day and I am amazed each day how much stronger and better he gets. It has been 3+ weeks now and the changes I have seen amaze me. I am grateful to everyone that gave me help with meals, childcare, and most of all prayers. I had so many people call me and ask what they could do and I want to let you know that all I could think of was pray. I know that some people wanted to do something more physical than that but never under estimate what a gift you are giving someone when you pray for their loved ones. I am really thankful to my Heavenly Father for his tender mercies and pray each day that Logan will come to understand why the Lord spared his life.
This is what I saw the 3rd day in the Trauma ICU
Logan has just had the feeding tube and everything taken out but he still needed oxygen for awhile.




This is the worst side.

This picture is after they brought him out of the induced comma and the nurse shaved his head.


Riley loved being at the hospital with Logan. This is roughly the 2nd or 3rd day out of the induced comma.The left side was the worst. It took him nearly 2 weeks to be able to open that eye.


Lookin good....this is about 9 days after the accident.

After 2 weeks in the hospital, they finally set him free. This is what he refers to as his "Quazi Moto" look!









This is 9 days after being discharged from the hospital. Not looking to bad, still sporting a black eye though!

12 comments:

  1. oh Debbie,
    I wish I could have been there to support you and Perry during this horrific time. I am so grateful that Logan is getting better.I can not even begin to imagine what that phone call and then walking in to see my son looking like that. I to do not understand how another human being can inflict that kind of vilolence on another. My thoughts and prayers were with you and your family and will continue to be. I love you.

    Genea

    ReplyDelete
  2. YaY !! He's starting to look like Logan again. Seeing those pictures still makes me sick to my stomach. This all truely is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie I have been thinking and praying for you during this time. Have you talked at all with Dallas through this? I wish I was there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Babe, having been where you were, I know what you went thru...the first time I saw Trev after his beating, all I could do was cry! I did not even recognize him...my own son!!
    I am so glad that Logan is doing better, and continues to improve. My prayer is that he will not take this lightly, and recognize that he has been through what I call..."one of life's learning processes..." Isn't that what they tell us we are put on this earth for? Mistakes are okay, as long as we learn from them...
    I know that you were aware of my love, thoughts & prayers, even tho' we didn't talk. I knew that you were very busy, whether just visiting him, sitting with him, praying for him, not to mention going on with your day-to-day routine of wife, mother, etc. But you were all on my mind & in my prayers...constantly!
    Know that I love all of you & hope to see you soon...Aunt Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Debbie. I was not prepared for those pictures. I get sick, angry , and so so sad when I see those pictures. I'm so glad Brayden and I are not without Logan. I see so much of Logan in Brayden and I'm glad Logan is not going to miss out on seeing it too. I love you guys so much. Brayden and I send giant hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie & Perry--it all becomes so real with the photos. I know the Lord is helping you and your family and especially pray that He is getting through to Logan. Yes, we are here on earth to be tested and you of all people know that the testing never seems to end. Here is a quote from my calendar: "It is the climb that puts on muscle. Anything worth having is never cheap. God has no bargain counters for even His poor or weak. It hurts to fall down, but it strengthens us to pick ourselves up." L.H. Talbot

    Love you all,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie Bennett!!! First of all from one mom to another I was crying as I read this post! I am so glad that Logan is doing well. The Lord loves us so much! Second of all I have tried to email you guys since we left and have never heard anything back. We think of you often...like everytime we look at our sego palm! We miss you guys. Tyce talks about Rylie and Asey still talks about Cambria. The kids have gotten so big! I can't believe Parker. We miss you guys so much. I am so happy you have a blog...now we can keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie - I had no idea this had happened!!! Why didn't you say anything at church. I am so glad he is on the mend. Kendra asked me how you were yesterday. I hope all is well!!!!
    LOVES! HEather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie - I found you!! What fun it was to visit at the beach! I still can't believe your family went thru this. What a miracle after only a month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get all excited to hear from you and hop on over to visit and this is what I read!!! OMG girl I can't imagine!!! So glad to hear Logan is on the mend. More prayers coming your way. I hope justice is served to the rat finks that did this to him!!
    I can't believe how big the kiddos are! Lindsey married with a baby? Last I saw Cambria she was a baby also. Boy does time fly! Glad you found me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie...I just found your blog through my daughter Brooke. I have been asking about you and heard about one week ago what happened. I am so sorry!! This truly is a miracle though. I know God loves you and your Family and Logan. It is a miracle.. I hope you know that my instincts were right.. something was terribly wrong.. I know you are being sustained through your Family, Faith, Ward and so many people that care for you. May the Lord bless you all.. Take care and My prayers are with you..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie, I am so glad Logan is okay! I showed the pictures to Jeremy and he said it truly is a miracle that he is okay. Your family is in our prayers and we hope Logan continues to heal. Hang in there!!! The Poulsens

    ReplyDelete